Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sand Storm

 “The Sand Storm” by Sean Huze was a well written play. I love the detail he put into it and having the narrator just brought it all together. In the end when you find out that the strong narrator died in combat was a sad moment for me. It was nice to see how he touched everyone of those soldiers lives. The fact that Huze wanted to tell some terrifying stories from the war and how they affected the soldiers was bold. As it says in the beginning, a soldier keeps his stories to himself. I have experienced that with my father.
 He’s been overseas twice now. Once in Desert Storm and in the Iraqi was. This play really hit home for me. It made me feel guilty for not trying to contact my dad more when he was in Iraq. It made me think about what he went through and how he has never talked about it.  Learning how much those soldiers lived for letters was heart-wrenching. All the flashbacks that went on during the play made me think of how my dad could sleep through any noise but the slightest touch would wake him and he would be on his guard. I really appreciated this play because it let you see inside a soldier’s world. I’ve already told my dad that he should read the play and I’m going to bring it to him as soon as I can. I still want to cry when I think about the soldier looking for the foot’s rightful owner or how images of innocent people kept being brought back into their minds, haunting them.
My dad in Desert storm (pic from his facebook)

No comments:

Post a Comment